About John D. Hendrix, MD – Mohs Micrographic Surgeon
Dr. Hendrix has over 20 years experience diagnosing and treating skin cancers. He has performed over 20,000+ Mohs surgeries on malignancies such as basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, melanoma, atypical fibroxanthoma, dermatofibroma sarcoma protuberans, sebaceous carcinoma, microcystic adnexal carcinoma, angiosarcoma, and merkel cell carcinoma. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology, a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and a Fellow of the American College of Mohs Surgery. He received his medical training and completed a research fellowship at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Additionally, he completed his Dermatology residency and Mohs fellowship at the University of Virginia.
Prep School: Woodberry Forest School, VA 1978-80
College: Davidson College, Davidson, NC 1980-84
Medical School Education
Medical School: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill NC 1984-88
Fellowship: (Dermatology Research): University of North Carolina 1988-89
Internship: Medical College of Virginia, Richmond VA 1989-90
Dermatology Residency: University of Virginia, Charlottesville VA 1990-93
Mohs Micrographic Surgery Education
Dermatology Mohs Fellow: University of Virginia 1994-96
Dermatology Associates, PA Oak Ridge, Tennessee (Private practice) 1993-1994
Assistant Professor (Dermatology): University of Virginia 1996-2000
1989 Diplomate Federal Licensing Exam
1993 Diplomate American Board of Dermatology
1993 Fellow, American Academy of Dermatology
1998 Fellow, American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery
1984 Phi Beta Kappa
1989 Upjohn Dermatology Research Award
1996 American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Young Investigator Award
1994-present Member, Albemarle County (Virginia) Medical Society
1994-present Member, Virginia Dermatologic Society
1994-present Member, Medical Society of Virginia
Selected Lectures (Local/Regional/National)
“Mohs Micrographic Surgery of the Eyelid”
“Surgical anatomy of the head and neck: nose and ears”
“Surgical repair of the ear & nose”
“Cutaneous drug eruptions”
“Skin cancer of the eyelid: diagnosis and management”
“Lentigo maligna: diagnosis/management”
“Basal cell cancer: diagnosisand management”
“Unusual cutaneous malignancies”
“Principles of skin flaps”
“Principles of grafts”
“Second intention healing”
“Principles of sclerotherapy”
“Difficult cutaneous malignancies”
“Benign Skin Neoplasms”
“Skin Cancer update: how to detect and manage”
“Moles and melanoma”
“Cutaneous Malignancy of the Nose”
“Unusual cutaneous malignancies of the head and neck”
“Minimally invasive options”
“Difficult basal cell carcinomas: diagnosis and management”
Selected Bibliography – Journal Articles
- Gammon WR, Yancey KB, Mangum KL, Hendrix, JD, Hammer CH. Generation of C5-dependent bioactivity by tissue-bound anti-BMZ autoantibodies. J Invest Dermatol 1989;93:195-200.
- Hendrix JD, Mangum KL, Zone JJ, Gammon WR. Cutaneous IgA deposits in bullous diseases function as ligands to mediate adherence of activated neutrophils. J Invest Dermatol 1990;94:667-672.
- Gammon WR, Hendrix JD, Mangum K, Jeffes EW. Recombinant human cytokines stimulate neutrophil adherence to IgG autoantibody-treated epithelial basement membranes. J Invest Dermatol 1990;95:164-171.
- Hendrix JD, Greer KE. Cutaneous hyperpigmentation caused by systemic drugs. Int J Dermatol 1992;31:458-466.
- Thuong-Nguyen V, Kadunce DP, Hendrix JD, Gammon WR, Zone JJ. Inhibition of neutrophil adherence to antibody by dapsone: a possible therapeutic mechanism of dapsone in the treatment of IgA dermatoses. J Invest Dermatol 1993;100:349-355.
- Hendrix JD. Mohs micrographic surgery: the cutting edge. Albemarle County Medical Society quarterly newsletter. Fall/Winter 1995
- Hendrix JD, Greer KE. Erythrokeratodermia variabilis present at birth: case report and review of the literature. Ped Dermatol 1995;12:351-354.
- Hendrix JD, Greer KE. Rubinstein Taybi syndrome with multiple flamboyant keloids. Cutis 1996;57:346-348.
- Hendrix JD, Parlette HL. Micronodular basal cell carcinoma: a deceptive histologic subtype. Arch Dermatol 1996;132:295-298.
- Hendrix JD, Parlette HL. Duplicitous growth of infiltrative basal cell carcinoma. Dermatol Surg 1996;22:535-539.
- Parlette HL, Hendrix JD. Cutaneous and cartilaginous lesions of the auricle. Facial Plastic Surgery 1996;11:310-318.
- Hendrix JD, Patterson JW, Greer KE. Skin cancer associated with ichthyosis: the MAUIE syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997;37:1000-1002.
- Grine C, Hendrix JD, Greer KE. Generalized keratoacanthomas of Grzybowski: successful treatment with cyclophosphamide. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997;36:786-787.
- Knoell KA, Hendrix JD, Patterson JW, McHargue CA,. Wilson BB, Greer KE .White nevi with features of histologic dysplasia. Arch Dermatol. 1997;133:992-994.
- Knoell KA, Gampper TJ, Hendrix JD. Localized bullous pemphigoid following radiotherapy for breast carcinoma. Arch Dermatol. 1998;134:514-515.
- Murphy RJ, Hendrix JD. Unusual presentation of a salivary pleomorphic adenoma: a case report and review of the literature. Cutis 1999;63:167-168.
- Knoell KA, Hook M, Grice P, Hendrix JD. Dermatomyositis associated with bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia (BOOP). J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999;40:328-330.
- Knoell KA, Hendrix, JD, Stoler MH, Patterson JW, Montes CM. Absence of Human Herpesvirus 8 in Sarcoidosis and Crohn Disease Granulomas.Arch Dermatol.141: 909-910.
Selected Bibliography – Book Chapters
- Slingluff CL, Hendrix JD, Seigler HF. Melanoma and cutaneous malignancies. In: Townsend, editor. Sabiston’s Textbook of Surgery (16th edition); 2000.
- Padgett JK, Hendrix JD Jr. Cutaneous malignancies and their management. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2001 Jun;34(3):523-53.
- Hendrix J. D., Slingluff C.L.: Cutaneous Malignancies: Diagnosis and Treatment, Chapter 42, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Thieme Medical Publishers, second edition (Ira Papel, editor) 2002.
- Hendrix J. D., Slingluff C.L.: Cutaneous Malignancies: Diagnosis and Treatment, Chapter 52, Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Thieme Medical Publishers, Third edition (Ira Papel, editor) 2009.